Pages

Saturday, September 15, 2012

I'm Back!

After a long two months of thesis writing, thesis defending, and job hunting; I am back on the front lines of Ag Blogging and Tweeting!

After successfully defending my thesis entitled "Educational and informational delivery method preferences of Mississippi beef cattle producers" I now hold a Master of Science degree in Agricultural and Extension Education.

I had been on the job hunting trail for several months and had the opportunity to interview for several positions, but on August 9th--two days before my graduation, I got a phone call from Clemson University.  The Animal and Veterinary Sciences Department had gotten some emergency funding to hire a temporary lecturer.  The next day (Aug. 10th) I had a phone interview and later that day I was offered the job!

I graduated the next day and moved to Clemson on Aug. 21 for classes that started on the 22nd.  It was  whirlwind move, but I have enjoyed every second of it.

For those of you who know me, you know that working at a University has been a dream of mine since I started school at Mississippi State.  I knew that I wasn't ready to go directly into a Ph.D. program after I finished my Masters so I was willing to accept the fact that getting my dream job wasn't something that was going to happen this soon in my life.  Little did I know that God had other plans.

I truly love Clemson and I have great students.  I am teaching two courses this semester: Intro to Animal Science Lab and Meats Processing.  With the help of the great teaching faculty in the department I am learning my way around and making my classes my own.

While the position is only temporary, I am hopeful of the possibility for them to make it more long-term.

I still have plans for a Ph.D....maybe in Animal Science, maybe in Ag. Communications...either way I am excited to have the opportunity to have my dream job this early in life!

Be prepared for stories from the field and the classroom.  This is going to be an amazing journey of learning for me and I invite you to join me!

No comments:

Post a Comment